Key points to make the best use of a hotel ware washing area
We have been with Miren Arriaga, Product Manager of Sammic's ware washing family to find out which are the most important elements and factors when designing a hotel's cleaning area. She has given us advice and guidelines to ensure a fully functional ware washing area.
1. Which factors are the most important when designing the ware washing system in a hotel kitchen?
It is essential to plan the design of the washing area in detail in order to adapt it to the needs of each hotel so that the operation can be carried out efficiently. Therefore, it is essential to take the following factors into account:
- Capacity: number of diners.
- Rotation: number of diners per hour.
- Time: how many services take place per day.
- Type of material to be washed.
- Water quality.
- Operational staff.
2. And what about savings and sustainability?
Today, good energy and resource management is paramount in hotel kitchens. With rising electricity, gas and water costs, it is recommended to choose models with a vapour condenser to reduce the room temperature and save on electricity consumption and improve the temperature recovery capacity of the rinse water.
3. What is your main piece of advice, as a professional, when it comes to designing the washing systems in a hotel kitchen?
The ideal kitchen should have a clean and functional design with workspaces divided so that employees can perform their tasks efficiently and without interfering with other kitchen work.
As for the washing area, this is one of the most important spaces in the kitchen because of the new hygiene protocols due to coronavirus. This is why, it's essential to perform an analysis of the operational processes in order to optimise the work, taking into account workflows, staff numbers, execution times, etc., in order to save costs and improve the wellbeing of the operators in this area.
In addition, to optimise processes, we recommend that the washing area be located next to the kitchen or the place where dirty crockery, cutlery and utensils are collected.
4. What types of equipment are currently in demand and why?
In hotels, washing crockery, glassware, cutlery and kitchen utensils plays a key role in meeting guests' and diners' high expectations. Depending on the main factors such as space, capacity and budget, the most demanded dishwashers tend to be rack conveyor dishwashers and pass-through dishwashers.
5. Which features do hoteliers value when choosing the dishwashing systems for their restaurant kitchens?
The dishwasher is undoubtedly a factor of great importance and it is vital to analyse in detail different aspects that will allow for the best decision to be made. For this reason, hoteliers currently prioritise the following factors when choosing a dishwasher:
- Output: to be able to respond to business demand at peak times.
- Resource consumption and environmental sensitivity: this is an increasingly relevant factor in the sector.
- Efficiency in the washing process: the hotelier seeks perfection in the washing process, not having to rewash the glassware, and that the crockery is disinfected and sanitised.
6. What about maintenance?
The life of your dishwasher will depend largely on the maintenance and care it receives. Failure to clean the dishwasher can cause it to break down and increase limescale levels. Therefore, cleaning is vital to extend the life of the dishwasher and to obtain perfect results over time. For proper dishwasher maintenance, it is recommended to do basic cleaning on a daily basis and a more thorough cleaning once a month.
7. Which machines are recommended for which type of hotel?
For an efficient washing process, each establishment must be clear about its capacity and the material to be washed: from breakfast in the morning and lunch to dinner or a cocktail in the evening, a hotel kitchen never stops. The ideal design of each kitchen depends on the establishment, the product offered, the capacity and the working staff, among other factors.
The advice of a specialist is recommended in order to be able to advise on an ideal washing area depending on the above-mentioned determining factors. Contact us here!